Bag of Alleged Ateneo Shooting Suspect Was Not Checked After Entering Campus in Vehicle
The bag of alleged an suspect in Ateneo de Zamboanga University Junior High School Campus was not checked after entering campus in vehicle.
On Tuesday morning (August 18, 2026), authorities are continuing their investigation into the tragic shooting incident at Ateneo de Zamboanga University Junior High School in Zamboanga City that left two students dead and two security guards injured.
The suspected gunman entered the campus carrying firearms before opening fire. The student later went to a classroom where a Grade 10 student was shot. After the incident, the suspect reportedly moved to another part of the building and was later found dead.

Police confirmed that the two fatalities were the Grade 10 student who was identified as the victim and the student believed to be responsible for the shooting. Two security guards were also injured during the incident and were immediately given medical attention.
As the investigation continues, authorities are now focusing on how the firearms were brought into the school. Reports showed that the bag carried by the suspected student was not inspected upon entering the campus because the student arrived in a vehicle.
Investigators are looking into whether this may have been a security lapse that allowed the weapons to enter the school grounds.
Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla said the motive behind the shooting remains unclear. Authorities are reviewing social media activity, gaming records, chat history, and other digital information that may help explain what led to the incident. Investigators are also tracing the origin of the firearms used.
As a recap, Customs Commissioner Ariel Nepomuceno earlier confirmed that the suspect’s father, a Customs police chief in Zamboanga, had been relieved from his position following the incident.
Authorities are also examining whether there were weaknesses in existing security procedures. The shooting prompted a large police and emergency response shortly after it was reported at around 7:45 a.m.
In another post, a father of Zamboanga school shooting suspect relieved of post as customs police chief
The campus was secured while forensic teams processed the crime scene and gathered evidence.
The Philippine National Police said the situation is now under control, but the investigation remains active. Meanwhile, Ateneo de Zamboanga University suspended classes and declared a period of mourning as students, teachers, and families cope with the tragedy.
Authorities have urged the public to avoid spreading unverified information, photos, and videos while the investigation is ongoing. The government is also studying stronger security measures for schools to help prevent similar incidents in the future.
The social media users expressed their reactions to the post:













