Pia Cayetano’s ‘takot na takot ako’ remarks on Senate shooting draw skepticism

0
3


Sen. Pia Cayetano in a plenary session of the Senate on May 20, 2026 (Screengrab from senateofthephilippines via YouTube)

Sen. Pia Cayetano drew skepticism from several Filipinos after she admitted feeling “afraid” following last week’s shooting incident inside the Senate.

The lawmaker on Wednesday, May 20, reacted to the remarks of Sen. Risa Hontiveros, who said it appeared that Senate operations went on as if “nothing had happened” following the incident, adding that the shooting “disrespected” the Senate as an institution.

“Hindi ako mapanatag na simula noong Lunes, ang ipinapakita natin ay para bang walang nangyari, na para bang hindi nabastos ang ating institusyon, ang ating mga empleyado, at ang mga Pilipino,” Hontiveros said in a speech during the plenary session.

“Ganito na ba talaga kababa ang inabot ng ating politika sa Pilipinas? Ito na ba tayo, Mr. President? Tuluyan na bang nilihis ng politika ang ating mga pamantayan sa pakikipagkapwa?” she added.

Cayetano reacted to her colleague’s remarks in her own speech, appearing emotional.

“Parang walang nangyari, ‘yan po ang statement ng ating butihing Senadora Risa Hontiveros. Siguro po para sa inyong mga wala rito, pero para sa amin na nandito, napakaraming nangyari. Takot na takot po ako na kailangan ko nang magpaalam sa mga anak ko,” she said.

“At ‘yong staff ko na si Claire na 20 years na sa akin, nandoon siya sa labas. She has a 12-year-old son. Kinuwento niya sa akin later na tumatakbo siya, hindi niya alam kung saan siya pupunta. Kaya para sabihin niyo na walang nangyari, napakasakit para sa aming lahat na nandito,” Cayetano added.

She also said that none of the former majority bloc had asked about their welfare following the shooting.

Hontiveros clarified her comments, saying she was referring to the Senate’s “institutional posture” rather than their personal feelings.

“Our grief as senators are valid, but our mandate requires action,” she said.

Meanwhile, several Filipinos were unconvinced by Cayetano’s remarks.

“Takot na takot? ‘Di naman ‘yan ‘yung nakita sa Facebook live,” an online user commented.

“True. Masaya nga silang kumakain eh,” another responded.

“Ay oo, grabeng takot nila! Nakapag-live at nakapag-snacks pa,” a different user said.

“Sa sobrang takot, napa-buffet dinner,” another Pinoy commented.

Doubts about the incident were previously raised by some Filipinos, who noted that the senators having a meal inside the building following the reported incident.

Moreover, some were photographed in a light mood, includijg Senate President Alan Peter Cayetano, who was seen smiling despite earlier describing the situation as an “attack” before the meal.

An online user also pointed out that Pia had posted a video of herself having coffee with latte art a day after the shooting incident.

“Zyann Ambrosio looking traumatized while covering the shooting and here is Pia, stylishly sipping latte art coffee with pastel roses behind her in this posh office na para bang walang nangyaring shootout. Pero ayan ang aesthetic ng ‘under attack’ ah. Geh lang,” an online user previously said.

“So ang coping mechanism ni Pia Cayetano for someone na naipit sa shooting incident, uminom ng kapeng may latte art??” another said.

Pia and other senators from the majority bloc were inside the Senate building when a shooting incident occurred on on May 13.

Some of them went on Facebook Live to claim they were “under attack,” a move that drew doubts from some Filipinos, who questioned the basis for such statements during the tense incident.

It was later determined that no “attack” occurred, according to the Philippine National Police investigation.

The Palace likewise said that the incident was not an “attack,” adding that what transpired was a contained security incident involving coordination issues between personnel stationed at the Senate complex andNational Bureau of Investigation agents deployed near an adjacent Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) facility.

The NBI and the PNP said the situation involved warning shots fired during a tense standoff near a restricted access point between the Senate and GSIS compound.

Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla said GSIS President and General Manager Wick Veloso had sought the NBI’s assistance in “fortifying” the security at the GSIS premises after Sen. Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa asked supporters to hold a prayer vigil at the Senate.

READ: Bato Dela Rosa says arrest imminent, urges public to block ICC transfer

The request was made to protect billions of pesos worth of artworks and other valuables housed at the GSIS.

Dela Rosa later flee from the Senate, where he had been under protective custody, following the incident.

He is the subject of an arrest warrant issued by the International Criminal Court for his alleged involvement in the Duterte administration’s “war on drugs” campaign while serving as Philippine National Police chief.





Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here